our commitment to diversity & inclusion
At The Overseas Dispatch, we commit to diversity and inclusion in the strongest possible terms.
We believe diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all employees and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feel valued, respected, and have the same accessibility to opportunity. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments, programs, and worksites. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
We’re committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for our entire industry, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all. To provide informed, authentic leadership for cultural equity, The Overseas Dispatch strives to:
- See diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and ensure the well-being of our staff and the writing communities we serve.
- Acknowledge and dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services, and continually update and report organization progress.
- Explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness.
- Advocate for and support board-level thinking about how systemic inequities impact our organization’s work, and how best to address that in a way that is consistent with our mission.
- Challenge assumptions about what it takes to be a strong leader at our organization, and who is well-positioned to provide leadership.
- Improve our cultural leadership pipeline by creating and supporting programs and policies that foster leadership that reflects the diversity of American and global society.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
- Commit time and resources to expand more diverse leadership within our board, staff, committee, and advisory bodies.
- Lead with respect and tolerance. We expect all employees to embrace this notion and to express it in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
Additionally, the Overseas Dispatch abides by the following action items to help promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace:
- Pursue cultural competency throughout our organization by creating substantive learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Generate and aggregate quantitative and qualitative research related to equity to make incremental, measurable progress toward the visibility of our diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts. Once our content is curated, it will be added to our website for others to access freely.
- Pool resources and expand offerings for underrepresented constituents by connecting with other related organizations committed to diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Develop and present sessions on diversity, inclusion, and equity to provide information and resources internally, and to members, the community, and the broader industry.
- Develop a system for being more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring, promoting, or evaluating process, and train our hiring team on equitable practices.
- Advocate for public and private-sector policies that promote diversity, inclusion, and equity while actively challenging systems and practices that engender inequity, oppression and disparity.
Together, The Overseas Dispatch hopes to rigorously enforce and iterate these commitments to diversity and inclusion throughout its workspace and operations, helping move our company and the industry it occupies closer to a future in which equity, inclusion, and industry-wide diversity is not the exception, but the norm.