The Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Overseas Dispatch Review Board (DEIC) will be the person alongside the Editor-in-Chief (EIC) who is primarily responsible for overseeing The Overseas Dispatch Review Board. The DEIC will support the EIC in managing daily operations, the editorial staff of the Overseas Dispatch Review Board, and client-side communications. The DEIC will effectively serve as the second highest-ranking individual directly responsible for all internal review processes and the feedback-based deliverables they generate for writing-based content. This person will report to the EIC and will supervise Review Board upper leadership. The DEIC will also receive additional support from the Director of Content Creation and the Executive Director as needed.
The DEIC’s formal responsibilities include:
- Supporting the Review Board EIC in administrative, operational, programmatic, onboarding, messaging, and community-based initiatives;
- Ensuring the smooth daily functionality of the Review Board through editorial and feedback-based support, as well as ad hoc and customized support;
- Working in conjunction with the Director of Content Creation and the Executive Director to devise the policies, practices, guidelines, and overall content parameters for the RB;
- Communicating frequently with all levels of Review Board editors and supervising activities in an advisory capacity;
- Soliciting, vetting, and selecting the upper and mid-level leadership of the Review Board;
- Liaising between Review Board upper leadership, service users, and the EIC to provide bi-weekly updates on matters of content, fulfillment, pricing, and the like;
- Determining and applying pricing quotes to different content in a whole-of-board fashion;
- Eliciting comments and implementing feedback-based changes in the board to ensure a smoother overall operation;
- Collaborating with other departments to meet minimum project priorities or negotiate allocations for additional projects; and
- Representing the Overseas Dispatch RB in an official capacity at outreach or fundraising events and through other media
The successful applicant will be able to excel at all of the responsibilities outlined above. This person will additionally be able to communicate effectively and civilly with other Overseas Dispatch employees; maintain professionalism in their activities; adhere to all essential guidelines; offer honest and transparent feedback about department operations; and bring a positive attitude to their role as a Deputy Editor-in-Chief.
- At least one year of experience in either publishing or editing OR previous experience on an editorial board
- Superior organizational skills
- At least one year of experience leading a team
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to communicate frequently with the EIC
- The ability to remain engaged and dedicate 8-10 hours a week to volunteering
- The ability to give and take feedback in a timely and effective manner
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Semi-finalists will be contacted for interviews, after which a candidate will be named. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.