The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DDEI) will be the person primarily responsible for overseeing all efforts to create a diverse and inclusive space at the Overseas Dispatch. This person will envision and execute the mission of the Overseas Dispatch by ensuring compliance, providing feedback, and increasing diversity and inclusion across content submissions, staff hiring, and consumer base, particularly among minorities. The DDEI will also work to prevent internal harassment and inveigh against problematic practices in the editorial, marketing, administrative, and outreach spaces. The DDEI will effectively be the highest-ranking individual directly responsible for ensuring a healthy, accepting, and nondiscriminatory workplace that iterates these standards throughout its initiatives and work. Specifically, the DDEI will report to the Executive Director, and is empowered to create a Diversity and Inclusion team to fit their mission and needs.
The DDEI’s formal responsibilities include:
- Designing company policies and programs in collaboration with the Executive Director and other department directors (if necessary) to reinforce workplace diversity, protect minority groups, and address harassment;
- Collaborating with the Content Creation, Outreach, Marketing, and Administration departments to implement non-discriminatory practices throughout the editorial and hiring processes;
- Working specifically on recruitment efforts to expand and diversify the demographic of the Overseas Dispatch;
- Enforcing policies of diversity through rigorous accountability checks with departments and staff members;
- Devising strategic visions for how to meet diversity and inclusion objectives across all aspects of the Overseas Dispatch;
- Communicating regularly with the Executive Director and with other teams as needed;
- Adjudicating inter-departmental harassment problems referred by staff members and pursuing feedback-based solutions;
- Training staff, particularly in the Outreach and Administration departments, in diversity and inclusion best practices to promote sensitivity;
- Compiling detailed records of diversity metrics, staffing concerns, department needs, project possibilities, work updates, potential problems, inter-departmental collaboration opportunities, and feedback;
- Representing the Overseas Dispatch in an official capacity at outreach or fundraising events and through other media
The successful applicant will be able to excel at all of the responsibilities outlined above. This person will additionally be able to communicate effectively and civilly with other Overseas Dispatch employees; maintain professionalism in their activities; adhere to all essential guidelines; offer honest and transparent feedback about department operations; and bring a positive attitude to their role as a Director.
- At least one year of experience leading a team
- At least two years of experience in diversity and inclusion-related initiatives, as well as knowledge of what constitutes discriminatory or non-discriminatory language
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, particularly in mediation
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Strong senses of integrity and good judgment
- The ability to give and take feedback in a timely and effective manner
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample to email@example.com. Semi-finalists will be contacted for interviews, after which a candidate will be named. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.