The Head Creative Editor (HCE) will be the person primarily responsible for overseeing all short- and long-term operations of the Creative Team of The Overseas Dispatch. This person will envision and execute the mission of The Overseas Dispatch by establishing the policies, procedures, staff onboarding practices, culture, and overall functionality of the creative team, ensuring both thorough editorial competencies in the Creative Team and comprehensive treatments of creative content for both The Overseas Dispatch Review Board and The Overseas Dispatch Magazine. The HCE will effectively serve as the highest-ranking individual directly responsible for the production and review of all creative content in The Overseas Dispatch. They will answer to the Editors-in-Chief of the Review Board and the magazine, as well as the Director of Content Creation, and will supervise the Creative Team.
The HCE’s formal responsibilities include:
- Convening regular editorial meetings to select, edit, or produce creative content, as well as devising and implementing creative initiatives in cooperation with other teams or departments as needed;
- Establishing the policies, procedures, meetings, communications, and accountability checks of the Creative Team;
- Conferring with the Editors-in-Chief of the Review Board and magazine and the Director of Content Creation on related initiatives, implementation, strategic execution, and related issues;
- Vetting, selecting, expanding, and supervising additional editors within the Creative Team to ensure robust capabilities;
- Compiling reports of team needs, project possibilities, work updates, potential problems, and feedback; and
- Representing the Overseas Dispatch in an official capacity at creative or fundraising events and through other media
The successful applicant will be able to excel at all of the responsibilities outlined above. This person will additionally be able to communicate effectively and civilly with other Overseas Dispatch employees; maintain professionalism in their activities; adhere to all essential guidelines; offer honest and transparent feedback about department operations; and bring a positive attitude to their role as a Team Head.
- At least one year of experience in some form of creative writing, such as poetry, memoir, short story, fiction, or creative nonfiction
- At least one year of experience leading a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to convene meetings regularly
- Keen organizational skills and sense of editorial ethics and proper standards
- Excellent and ebullient sense of creativity
- The ability to give and take feedback in a timely and effective manner
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Semi-finalists will be contacted for interviews, after which a candidate will be named. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.