The Head of Membership (HOM) will be the person primarily responsible for creating and maintaining a viable, diverse, enthusiastic, and long-term public-facing community for The Overseas Dispatch. This person will envision and execute the mission of The Overseas Dispatch by directly recruiting contributors, volunteers, and users of the in-house services while designing and implementing a robust virtual community to support their efforts and spread organic awareness of the organization. The HOM will effectively be the highest-ranking individual directly responsible for ensuring the sustained, vibrant, and growing participation of members of the organization’s target demographic while creating a personally and professional rewarding communal experience to supplement them.
The HOM’s formal responsibilities include:
- Establishing the policies, procedures, meetings, communications, and accountability checks of the Membership Team and convening more staff as needed;
- Defining, implementing, and advancing a formal definition and framework for membership, community involvement, and direct recruitment;
- Building periodic to regular aspects of The Overseas Dispatch community culture while ensuring the successful fulfilment of individual volunteer and member needs;
- Creating enthusiasm, spreading awareness, and attracting involvement with The Overseas Dispatch in multiple social media and personal channels;
- Recruiting new content contributors and Review Board users by drumming up interest in coordination with the Communications Team and the Marketing Department;
- Corresponding with all members, volunteers, and interested parties in The Overseas Dispatch while serving as a point person for relevant questions;
- Assessing and incorporating member- and outsider-driven feedback to create a symbiotic and data-based menu of community-building activities, frameworks, and outreach initiatives;
- Representing the Overseas Dispatch in an official capacity at outreach events and through other media;
- Liaising with the Director of Outreach Head of Communications, and Head of Fundraising on joint concerns, questions, initiatives, and related matters;
- Compiling reports of team needs, project possibilities, work updates, potential problems, and feedback
The successful applicant will be able to excel at all of the responsibilities outlined above. This person will additionally be able to communicate effectively and civilly with other Overseas Dispatch employees; maintain professionalism in their activities; adhere to all essential guidelines; offer honest and transparent feedback about department operations; and bring a positive attitude to their role as a Director.
- At least one year of experience working in strategic communications, outreach, marketing, customer service, or a related field
- At least one year of experience leading a team
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to respond promptly to regular correspondence with members
- The ability to creatively conceive and implement a membership program
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 page writing sample to email@example.com. Semi-finalists will be contacted for interviews, after which a candidate will be named. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.